Monday, October 3, 2011

A day long ago

I was about 16 years old. A friend and I went to the Palm Desert shopping mall on a Friday night. My buddies growing up always wanted to go to the mall, meet girls and try to find a party to go to. I usually wanted to go to the baseball card shop they had on the second floor right in the middle of the mall. 

http://lennyrandle.com/
We got to the card shop that day and there were two tables setup outside, one on each side of the door. There was an autograph signing. I remember the excitement when I saw Lenny Randle walk out and take a seat behind one of the tables. There was a line of about 10-15 people and he basically rushed everyone along. He charged $5 for a card, $10 for an 8x10 which he provided so it was definitely worth it. When it was my turn he was speaking to the guy working the shop. I handed his assistant my five bucks and the assistant handed me a signed card. I waited for a moment to shake his hand and say thanks. When he turned around to face me, he saw I had the card in my hand and he asked the assistant rudely if he had gotten $5 from me. He gestured like I had stolen the card. He was told I had paid for it, then he said thank you and turned back around to continue conversation with the clerk. When I turned to walk away, I noticed at the other table sat a Hispanic guy with a stack of cards. There was no one at his table so my curiosity sank in and I walked up to him. He introduced himself as Todd Cruz a former ball player with the Orioles. We spoke for several minutes and he told me how he played side by side with Cal Ripken Jr. He was very interesting to listen to and told me of his first game with the Orioles. He said he just got traded to the O's and he was ecstatic because they were having a great season. He hit two homeruns that game and he felt like everyone in the clubhouse welcomed him because of it. He said he was more of a fielder than a batter and he was extremely proud of what he did with his glove.

Todd Cruz Stats
I spoke with Todd for about 10-15 minutes. He was charging $7 a card. The entire time I was there talking baseball with him, only 2 other people walked to his table. I told him I had to run and he said I could have a card for $5. I gave him a $5 and went on my way.

Back then, I didn't really collect autographed cards. I was looking for all the Michal Jordan cards I could find. The Shaq rookies etc. Autographs just wasn't my deal. As a matter of fact, I didn't start collecting autographs until I was married and had my first born. I remember going home and putting these two cards in plastic sleeves and sticking them in with other non-signed cards. I never really thought twice of it.
Yesterday, I was digging thru some old cards from my youth and I found these two cards. It brought back a few memories from that day.

As I was leaving, two young men were walking up to the shop. Lenny, being very loud and obnoxious, introduced the one as his nephew, Tyus Edney. Tyus had just finished up his basketball playing days with UCLA and was drafted to play in the NBA (I don't remember who drafted him). I remember he was a big thing at the time, so I shook his hand and said congrats. This is something I had forgotten about until I pulled out these two cards.

This morning I wanted to see what these two individuals are doing these days so I typed their names into Google. I found out that Lenny Randle has his own website and is running sports camps for education along with Tyus and a few other former pro athletes that never lived up to their potential. I was honestly surprised after the way he acted at the mall on the evening long ago. But I know people change so good for him. 

As for Todd Cruz, when I typed in his name, I found out that Todd had passed away in 2008. I read the article on him and in my own way, I felt like I lost something. Todd was not a superstar by any means of the word. He only played for several years and never really was considered even an average player. But he loved the game enough to talk to me about it and tell how he was a great fielder and brag about playing next to The Iron Man. He seemed like a kid living out a dream for a day.

I wonder why some players are forgotten about, even if they don't hit 500 homeruns, or get to 3000 hits. They made it to the pro's. They should be remembered somehow. I was saddened that it took me two years after his death to even find out he was gone.

Todd, I don't know how many people remember watching you play or speaking with you about the game, but I do. Rest In Peace Todd and good luck playing on the diamond in the sky.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Steve. Back in college, I got really into mailing cards to players to get signed through the mail - still have tons of them.
    One day, however - I came up with a great idea. I had just opened a box of Topps Archives - the old reprint cards - and had also just found a book of baseball player addresses. It had just about every living player -from superstar to scrub.
    I decided to send the cards to the old-timers, mostly concentrating on the no-name players. I sent the card with a letter asking them what they thought of the game today. I got TONS of responses - some even took a minute to send a letter back. It was great hearing from those guys and I still have a whole box of those signed cards.

    ReplyDelete