Friday, September 30, 2011

Steve Garvey

I met Steve Garvey at a Palm Springs Power game where his son Ryan is a superstar. I was a little nervous at first because this guy was my childhood hero. Being a Dodger fan, I had to get him to sign something for me.

Thank goodness the Power is in a summer collegiate wood bat league and does not draw many fans. My son caught two foul balls that day. Near the end of the game, I had my son (yes I was too much of a chicken) walk up and ask him to sign the balls. He was awesome and signed both on the sweet-spot.

A couple weeks later, we went to another game and he sat right next to us. We engaged in conversation and I found out that Ryan had been drafted by the Phillies. Steve owns a business in Palm desert, CA, which is right down the road from where we live. This time, I had brought a couple of brand new balls and an 8x10. I hesitantly told him I was hoping to see him and he generously signed them as he laughed at me for being too nervous to ask.

 Overall, Steve has gotten some flack by the media in the past but I think the guy is generally awesome to the fans. Every time I saw him at the games, not once did I see him turn down a fan request for a signature or a photo opportunity. He would speak to whoever he sat next to. And although he had reserved seats behind home plate, he would walk around the stadium to take the occasional shot of Ryan while he was playing. He seemed like the average everyday proud father watching his son play the game he loved so much.

Speaking of Ryan, I spoke with him also a couple times this season. He is also a very nice young man. Once, after winning the 2011 homerun derby, he had a line of fans asking for his signature. He did not leave until the last person had walked away happy. He spoke very highly of his father and how he wanted to follow in his footsteps. He dropped down to my 4 year old daughters level and told her how pretty she was and signed a ball for her as well as myself. I really hope Ryan finds success in the Phillies organization.

Steve was nothing like you would expect after hearing the media bash him in the past. He was extremely fan friendly to both those that watched him play and those that were way to young to actually know who he was, just that they knew he was a former MLB player and wanted his autograph.

This Power season was definitely a memorable one thanks in part to Mr. Clean himself. My hats off to you Mr. Garvey, you made a childhood dream come true.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! The ball looks great. Last time I met Garv, I was so nervous. I was standing in front of him for over an hour and I could barely get a word out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's an awesome guy. So glad he sat next to us, not just because of who he is, but he's a generally down to earth guy. Him and his wife were extremely nice. It was an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete